Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Cheating, Splurging, Rewarding...

No matter what you call it, you know exactly what I'm referring to. You decided to follow a specific food plan, and somewhere along the way you got it in your head that it means you'll never have chocolate, or a french fry, or a piece of candy ever again. If you have that willpower, you deserve some sort of medal! I on the other hand, I am happy to live a healthy lifestyle 95% of the time- leaving me 5% for foods that aren't exactly healthy, but that I enjoy.

Here are some suggestions of ways I use to handle this 5% of eating:

1. Eating exactly what I am craving, I don't try to substitute. For example, if I want a peanut butter cup I don't eat a Kit Kat because it won't satisfy me.

2. Eat in moderation. I look at the nutritional label and determine what one serving is, and limit myself to one serving. Some servings may be larger, so I can eat 1/2 a serving and still be content.

3. If your friends are eating dessert it doesn't mean you have to. Only eat if you love it, and then limit your self to three norm bites.

4. Don't beat yourself up over it. If you are going to eat something unhealthy that you have been craving, then enjoy it. After you've enjoyed your one serving continue on with your healthy eating.

5. And sometimes, you're not really craving anything- you're just thinking about food. If it is within an hour or so of your next meal, find something to do to get your mind off of food until it is time to eat your next meal. (You should eat every 3-4 hours by the way.)

Does that sounds like something you can try next time the urge strikes??? Do you have tips to share with others? Leave a comment.


Stuffed Acorn Squash

The acorn squash was baked upside down until soft (approx. 40 minutes), then I stuffed it with ground turkey I had cooked with onions, garlic, spinach, and a tablespoon of Greek yogurt. Absolutely yummy!

And tonight I also scooted off to the gym to get in the 2 mile run I missed yesterday due to the cold that I am fighting. It felt good to get it done, and I'm ready for tomorrow's 3 miles.

The gym is so packed with the resolution group and the main thing they want to use is some kind of cardio machine- usually they don't even care which type. I want to tell them to hit the weights, but why would they listen to a stranger? Some will figure out, some won't- it took me a while too!

My new book to read:
I've seen many other people mention it, and I was thinking about reading. Then I decided it would be good information to read in a new format. Matt has given me the opportunity to learn how lifting it more important than cardio by sharing his readings with me, but I thought it couldn't hurt reading something directed at women that reviews the same concepts.

If you are someone who thinks the cardio will help you lose more weight than lifting ever could, then you probably should get this book too. I've lost 60 pounds myself, and it didn't start to come off until I focused on the weight lifting.

Cardio is good for endurance, but cannot help you lose large amounts of weight. Think about it, google it, or just read about it. Take advantage of your resolution this year and make it come true.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.