Okay I must confess I had intentions to go to the grocery store Tuesday night, but never got there. I even went through the trouble of creating a list, but once the rain started pouring down I changed plans.
So now I've had to re-think the whole week of food because the week is almost over so there is very little reason to do a full out shopping trip. I stopped at the store on my way home from the gym tonight. My reduced shopping list came to just under $30- sounds like a good week for me!
So for tonight I've decided to prepare black bean burgers because I have the items on hand- and because I've been meaning to get the recipe to Sabrina!
So here goes... black bean burgers with sweet potato fries.
Black Bean Burger Recipe
1 medium onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, finely diced
2 tsp chili powder
2 tsp paprika
1 tsp red pepper flakes
1 tsp cumin
3/4 cup walnuts
1 can black beans (drain & rinse)
1/4 cup salsa
1/4 cup corn
3/4 cup bread crumbs
1 Tbsp ground flax + 3 tbsp water, whisked
1. Preheat oven to 425*.
2. Whisk ground flax and water together in small bowl and allow to sit until used. (This replaces 1 egg for a vegan burger.)
3. Saute the onion and garlic in 2 tablespoons of olive oil. After about 3 minutes add in the chili powder, paprika, cumin and red pepper flakes.
4. Place the walnuts in a food processor, and pulse until coarsely chopped. Add the black beans, salsa, corn, bread crumbs, "egg" mixture from step 2, and onion mixture from step 3. Process until the mixture forms a paste- then add salt & pepper to taste.
5. Allow mixture to sit for approximately 10 minutes, then form six patties. Patties should be cooked on an oiled baking sheet, with the tops of the patties also brushed with olive oil.
6. Bake 15 minutes, then flip and cook 10 more minutes.
7. Remove from oven and enjoy!
I must warn you though that the burgers came out looking good, this recipe may need a little more adjustment to make them easier to handle. They are a bit soft, and have too much moisture. I would still say to give them a shot because they are super yummy!
What did you have for dinner tonight?